Race Date, Time, and Place
- ALL finishers will receive a medal! However, participants in the full and half marathon and 10k must maintain a 13:44 average per mile pace (which equates to 3 hours for the half marathon, 6 hours for the full marathon) to stay ahead of our course sweep. Participants that fall behind the course sweep must obey traffic laws, as we cannot control traffic past sweep times. Volunteers--including those providing directions and those staffing aid stations with water and food--will be released to go home once sweeps pass. Portable toilets on course will still be available. Participants behind pace should know the route. These time limits are a result of requirements to have particular sections of the course reopened by specific times. Race Directors thank you for your understanding.
- The Family 5k welcomes walkers and runners!
Race Distances and Timing
- There will be markers at each mile for each distance.
- The race will be professionally chip timed.
- All registered full and half marathon runners will receive a long sleeve tech shirt and 10k and 5k (13 and over) runners will receive a short sleeve shirt - both with super duper cool designs. Youth shirts are available for purchase for our free Family 5k 12 and under runners.
- ALL finishers receive a rad, unique medal (including kids running free!), a beer from Deschutes Brewing (Run Bend, Drink Bend!) (21 and over), a Humm Kombucha, and a Jamba Juice!
- You can click HERE to find out who else is registered for the races so far.
Is the Bend Marathon a Boston Qualifier?
- No, not yet. As Bend grows and the race grows, we've been changing and improving the course each year to take advantage of new paths or route around new developments. When the course settles down and we can deliver a substantially similar route year over year, we will have it certified as a qualifier.
- Usually mornings are cold and afternoons are pleasant.
- Average start temp 35°to 40°
- Average highs 60° to 65°
Lodging & Travel Planning
- If you are in the Bend area, the FootZone Bend Marathon Training Groups will start in February, 2018.
- Stay tuned for Portland area training listings!
Transfer between events or to another party, Deferral
Registration Refund Insurance
- You are welcome to transfer between distances until 4/13/18, though there are no refunds for the switch. The only barrier to a transfer is if an event reaches capacity. There is a transfer fee of $10. To Transfer: Sign-in to RunSignUp and select My Registered Races to Manage Registration and Transfer Event.
- You are welcome to transfer your registration to another person until 4/13/18. There is a transfer fee of $10. To Transfer: Sign-in to RunSignUp and select My Registered Races to Manage Registration and Transfer to Another Runner.
- If you would like to defer your registration to the 2019 event, you have until 2/1/18 to do so. There is a deferral fee of $10. To Defer: Sign-in to RunSignUp and select My Registered Races to Manage Registration and Defer.
- There are no exceptions to these deadlines.
Registration Refund Insurance
- During the registration process (only), a registration refund program is offered as a benefit to runners should they be interested. "Registration Protector is a reimbursement program that provides registered participants protection for otherwise non-refundable registration expenses if they are unable to attend an event due to unforeseen circumstances." The program is offered through Allianz Global Assistance through a partnership with our registration company. It is not handled or administered by Bend Marathon and Half.
- If you purchase insurance you will see a separate charge on your credit card for the insurance and you will receive an email from Allianz with details on your coverage.
- If you have purchased event registration insurance and have a question or claim please contact Allianz at: www.eventregistrationprotection.com. If you have questions regarding your insurance, please contact Allianz Global Assistance at 1-888-497-6987.
- Refunds are not available outside of this policy.
- Headphones are allowed, however we strongly recommend runners are able to hear all traffic and instructions from race officials and volunteers (helps with staying on course!).
- We love dogs, but having them accompany you during the event is prohibited.
- The courses all include some surfaces other than road or sidewalk. Each participant is encouraged to assess for themselves whether that course is appropriate for them. Race Directors are happy to provide more information to assist. .
- The courses all include some surfaces other than road or sidewalk. Each participant is encouraged to assess for themselves whether the course is appropriate. Strollers are allowed in the rear of each race. Some parts of the course are narrow and strollers may not block the path for other runners. No bicycles, hot wheels, or tyke bikes are allowed.
- For an ADA accommodations contact Traci Manning, Race Director at 503-380-4300 or by email.
- Parking in Bend near the Start and Finish areas is free on Sunday and posted time limits are not enforced. We want to be great visitors and keep access to businesses open for all to enjoy by parking off street where we can. A map of parking options is available HERE.
Bag Check & Clothing Drop/Donation
- Bag check will be available starting at 6:15 am on race morning at the Start/Finish line in the Mirror Pond Parking Lot, NW Franklin and Brooks Streets, next to Drake Park. Bags provided.
- And, runners can donate cold weather items at the Starting Line! Wear that warm coat or sweater (that is still in good condition but you just never use anymore) over your running clothes. Take it off when your race starts, and leave it there! We'll collect the donated clothing and donate it to Bend Community Center. Each year, runners have donated lots of quality warm clothing to people in the local community who can really use it.
Support / Aid Stations
- Non-cash awards will be given at approximately 11:00 am to the top male and female finishers of each distance (Open and Masters). Age group results are posted in the Results Kiosk as available and awards are at the operations tent.
- Race photos will be provided by Go Action Photos and available 3-5 days after the race. Photos are sorted by bib number when the number is visible, so wear your bib proudly outside and on the front of your clothes - and SMILE!
Severe Conditions – Race Modification or Cancellation Policy
- Runners make a tremendous commitment to participate in a race and it is our goal to celebrate that commitment by putting on a wonderful race. The only thing more important to us is the safety of participants – runners, volunteers, spectators and vendors. We hope to never have to cancel a race. However, we have to be realistic that events can occur beyond the control of race directors or race participants that would make a race unsafe to run as scheduled.
- In the event of extreme conditions (fire, ice, extreme heat, or other), race directors will work with local public safety and our own medical advisors to determine if the conditions are safe for race participants and volunteers. In the event that conditions are deemed unsafe, race directors may modify or cancel the race at their sole discretion. In these extreme circumstances, as is true throughout the race industry, refunds will not be offered. Most of the costs involved in producing a race happen long before you go to the start line. None of us have control over the weather, and we all share in the risk involved if Mother Nature intervenes and makes it unsafe to continue with the event.
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” - John Bingham